Wednesday 17 September 2014

The Wizard of Oz(1939)

Well what a movie this classic was. I hadn't seen this movie in years. I can vaguely recall it even. However when I went along to it, It slowly came back to me. And I MEAN slowly. The plot was quite simple, in that Dororthy(Garland) is shushwed up ie swept up in a tornado into a fantasy land. The tornado was so real like, the one in Into the Storm(Review here). It was so impressive. So anyways, Dorothy then is found in a new place and is woken up to Munchkins. Then it is found that there are TWO wicked witches. One of the East)(whom was killed with Dorothy's house) and the Wicked Witch of the West(Hamilton). The Good Witch is also there and helps Dorothy out. Dorothy wanted to return home. However she has to Follow the Yellow Brick Road. People who know me, will know my love for music in Movies. Well this one surely did not disappoint me. I was happily singing all the songs. One thing I did notice was that the songs that were being song I was saying to myself: "Oh so this is where the song came from". On the way to the Wizard, Dorothy encounters Scarecrow(Bolger), Tin Man(Haley) and the Lion(Lahr). She told them as she met them on her travels, that she's going to the Wizard in the Emerald City to ask to be sent back home, while so Scarecrow wanted a Brain, Tin Man wanted a Heart, and the Lion wanted Courage. So a conflict ensues with the 4 of them and the Witch. As with any childhood movie, the Winning character is always what I want all the time not the "baddie". Then quite a shocker for me personally. Not sure about the rest of yeeee, but the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Lion and the "Wizard" are all her own family. Which I was saying: "Isn't that....." etc., Great childhood movie. Ohhh and the quotes, just unreal. One quote: When the Lion was requesting his Courage: "What makes a King out of a slave? Courage!" and the most one quote that really went through me: Considering my heart was broken by my first ex: You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable." and another quote relating to the heart: ": A heart is shown not by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." So the movie ended on as always with a childhood(well the one's I've seen - hhaha) on a positive note. The Wicked Witch of the WEST, had been defeated. Dorothy was heading back. It was made out to be of a DREAM.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/

No comments:

Post a Comment